Friday, July 27, 2007

Ready..? Set...?


I'm crouched at the starting line, waiting to burst with full energy exerted into a new chapter of my life! It's exhilerating, scary, and inevitable. My first big leap was to hold a senior recital, combined with Lewis Chang. It was incredible to see how many came to support, and it was quite an experience to let go of time and simply practice for hours upon hours a day--32 page sonatas don't come easily when you have two weeks to prepare!! I'm glad I succeeded my goal of holding a recital. I had been wanting to do for at least a year, but time never could really allow. I thought it would never happen! I feels so good when you make things happen...

I'm learning to be more independent, which is paradoxically the easiest and hardest thing I've ever had to learn. I'm already pretty self-sufficient, mentally at least. But can I really make sure I have food to eat? I have to motivate myself to get things done? Get myself to go to bed on time?? Keep a clean room??? It could be pretty rough. Luckily, though, I've embedded in myself a sense that if I want something done, I need to do it myself. Now, this isn't always a positive thing, I understand, but as far as getting into the programs I need for my major, looking for internships, and getting my studying done properly, I'm confident that I'll be able to take the initiative. I hope. But, there are so many other things that I am a bit freaked out with. It's a good thing Alex will be with me at BYU, b/c there are so many things that I don't like doing alone... i.e: going inside gas stations & going to the bank. I'm thrilled to begin conducting my own life, though.

Another big step for me is to go to Hawaii for a week, with siblings only, and for the soul purpose of going to have fun (no one to visit, no business things to attend). Essentially, it is the first time I've gone somewhere, and not had a detailed itinerary. It's going to be fantastic!! I'm really excited!!

Life is coming at me fast, and I'm ready to take it! There's a lot I still need to learn about myself, but I'm a good teacher, so I think I'll be able to learn pretty fast from myself and from those around me. Oh! There's the gunshot.....GO!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Laurisa. You really should take writing classes.